We're here to help

We stopped offering new Income Protection Insurance policies from 1 April 2021. If you already have an Income Protection Insurance policy, there’s no change to your cover.

As soon as your doctor tells you you're unable to work for longer than your waiting period, or you're made redundant call us.

We'll provide you with a personal claims manager to support you through the process.

Call 1300 996 143

8am–5:30pm Mon–Fri

Have a question? We can help

For sickness or injury claims you'll need to see a doctor. Medical information is an important part of the claim review process.

Your doctor will need to complete the Initial Medical Report Form by answering a few routine questions about your condition.

We'll let you know if we need any more information, and in some cases, we may refer you to a specialist.

If you're out of action because of an illness or become involuntarily unemployed, we understand how stressful this can be. Here's what you need to do:

1 Check your details

Confirm your waiting period - the time that must pass before you're eligible to claim benefits.

2 Notify us

Call 1300 996 143 if your doctor tells you you're unable to work for longer than your waiting period, or you've become involuntarily unemployed.

3 Make a claim

Complete the appropriate claim form together with any medical forms from your doctor. You may also be asked to provide proof of your income. We'll contact you if we need any more information.

3 Assessment

We'll assess your claim and be in touch as quickly as we can to let you know the outcome.

Call 1300 996 143

8am–5:30pm Mon–Fri

Have a question? We can help

Sickness or Injury claims

Involuntary Unemployment Cover claims - employees

  • Involuntary Unemployment Initial Claim Form
  • A Notice of Release or Separation Certificate
  • Written advice from your employer explaining your involuntary unemployment or the forced termination of your employment or contract
  • Evidence that you've been actively looking for work

Please ensure written advice is on company letterhead and is signed by the paymaster, company secretary, personnel manager, director or a person of similar senior standing there.

Involuntary Unemployment Cover claims - self-employed

  • Involuntary Unemployment Initial Claim Form
  • A notice confirming your personal insolvency, issued by the Australian Financial Security Authority (AFSA) or its successors, or
  • A Certified Copy of a Count Order or appointment of an insolvency administrator to your company, and
  • Evidence that you've been actively looking for work

Permanent Disability claims

For Permanent Disability claims, call us on 1300 996 143 and we'll guide you through the claims process.

The waiting period is the amount of time that must pass before you’re eligible to claim benefits on your policy. This period must be a consecutive number of days where you've either been medically certified as unable to work by a doctor or have been out of work after being made redundant. Your waiting period is shown on your policy schedule.

An example of how a waiting period works is shown below:

Date of claim 1 April
Waiting period 30 days
Waiting period expires 30 April
First payment due 31 May for the period 1 May to 30 May

If you have a question about your waiting period, you can discuss this with your claims manager. You'll receive benefits once your claim is assessed and approved.

If you think you’re going to be off work for less than your waiting period, then you won’t be eligible to claim.

If you have any questions, please call us on 1300 996 143.

We need your financial information to work out your level of benefit payments.

We calculate your monthly benefit amount using your income in the 12 months before you claim. The amount we’ll pay is 85% of your current income, or your chosen insured benefit amount, whichever is less. This doesn’t include business expenses, investments income or any income not declared to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).

Costs for medical reports and certificates can vary depending on the doctor(s) involved and your illness or injury.

As this can't be determined when you take out your policy, it isn't part of your insured benefit. This means you'll need to cover the costs for completing both the initial and any ongoing medical reports.

If your claims manager needs any additional reports, or refers you to an Independent Medical Specialist, we'll pay for these costs.

When you took out your policy we asked you to declare your annual income to calculate your level of cover. The highest cover available is 85% of your income or $10,000 a month, whichever is less.

We'll pay you up to the amount shown on your policy, unless you've told us your income has increased before your claim. The amount we'll pay will be the lesser of 85% of your current income or your chosen insured benefit amount.

If your income has decreased, meaning your cover is more than your take home pay, your benefit amount will reduce to a maximum 85% of your current income.

When we assess your application or claim, we may ask you to get examined by an independent medical specialist or attend rehabilitation.

We'll always try to organise appointments that are close and convenient to your home. If we can't find a suitable provider nearby and you live in a rural or regional area, we'll pay your reasonable medical appointment transport costs.

We'll also organise flights and accommodation for you to attend medical assessments if needed. If there's a medical reason you can't travel alone, we may pay the travel costs for someone to go with you. You'll need to approve this with us first to confirm what expenses we can reimburse you for. We're here to help you find a suitable solution.

To ensure there's disabled access at your medical appointment, please speak to your personal claims manager.

When you submit your claim, you'll be assigned a personal claims manager who'll help you work through the details of your claim from start to finish.

Our claims managers are specialists in helping people at difficult times, so you'll always be speaking to someone who knows and understands your circumstances.

Call 1300 996 143

8am–5:30pm Mon–Fri

Have a question? We can help

It's important that you and your doctor(s) keep your claims manager updated about your progress, as many conditions can have different outcomes and unpredictable recovery rates.

Your claims manager will ask for a Progress Claim Form from you and your treating doctor every month to make ongoing assessments. This form lets us know you're recovering medically and can also allow us to help you with things like rehabilitation programs if they're needed.

We know it can be hard going to medical appointments and getting documents quickly.

That’s why we’ll work with you to agree a reasonable time to get everything back to us. We’ll also help you book appointments and request documents to support your application or claim.

Remember, keep us updated as you go. If you miss your deadlines, we might have to close your application or claim.

If we’ve asked for information from you, we’ll contact you to keep you up to date about the process. And if you have questions, get in touch with your claims manager for help.

You'll need to remain under the regular care of a registered medical practitioner and follow all their treatment and recommendations.

You'll also need to keep your claims manager updated if anything changes along the way.

Once the waiting period expires, your benefits will begin to accrue. You'll start to receive these monthly when your first benefit is due, after your claim is assessed and approved.

If your benefit date has passed, we'll pay you any outstanding payments.

For more information about your claim, please call 1300 996 143.

Have a question? We can help

It's important to check the duration of your waiting period on your policy document.

Call us as soon as possible if you think you'll be off work for longer than your waiting period.

If your illness or injury will not see you off work for longer than your waiting period, you won't be eligible to claim.

If you aren't sure whether you're eligible to claim, please call us on 1300 996 143.

We waive all your premium payments while you're receiving claim benefits. However, you'll need to continue paying the premium until your claim is approved.

Once your claim is approved, we'll refund any premiums you've paid during your claim assessment back to you, or apply a credit to your policy.

As your premiums are tax deductible, your claim's benefits are tax accessible. However, this can vary.

For information about taxable claim benefits, please contact the tax office or a taxation adviser.

Things you should know

The information on this website about NRMA Income Protection is general advice only and does not take into account your personal financial situation, needs or objectives. You should consider the Combined Product Disclosure Statement and Financial Services Guide and your own circumstances before deciding to purchase or to continue to hold NRMA Income Protection. NRMA Income Protection is promoted by IAL Life Pty Limited ABN 15 137 509 936 Authorised Representative No. 427847 of TAL Direct Pty Limited ABN 39 084 666 017 AFSL 243260. From 1 April 2021 NRMA Income Protection will no longer be issued by TAL Life Limited ABN 70 050 109 450 AFSL 237848 and Involuntary Unemployment Cover will no longer be issued by St Andrew’s Insurance (Australia) Pty Limited ABN 89 075 044 656 AFSL 239649. IAL Life Pty Limited is a subsidiary of Insurance Australia Limited ABN 11 000 016 722 trading as NRMA Insurance. Existing policies and claims will continue to be administered by TAL Direct under an agreement with the insurers, TAL Life Limited ABN 70 050 109 450 AFSL 237848 and for Involuntary Unemployment Cover, St Andrew’s Insurance (Australia) Pty Ltd ABN 89 075 044 656 AFSL 239649. All Life Insurance information on this website is provided by TAL Direct Pty Limited and IAL Life Pty Limited.