With NRMA Travel Insurance, there are many medical conditions that we cover automatically without needing them to be listed on your policy.
Having a travel insurance policy does not automatically cover claims arising from, or exacerbated by, Existing Medical Conditions or pregnancy. However, you can apply to have Existing Medical Condition cover included within your NRMA Travel Insurance policy by answering some simple questions. If we agree to offer cover for Existing Medical Conditions, it may be subject to special conditions, limitations, excesses and amounts payable depending on your age and your trip duration and destination.
"Existing Medical Condition" means disease, illness, medical or dental condition or physical defect that at the Relevant Time meets any one of the following:
- Has required an emergency department visit, hospitalisation or day surgery procedure within the last two years
- Requires prescription medication from a qualified medical practitioner
- Requires regular review or check-ups
- Requires ongoing medication for treatment or risk factor control
- Requires consultation with a specialist
- Has been medically documented involving the brain, circulatory system, heart, kidneys, liver, respiratory system or cancer
- Has required surgery involving the abdomen, back, joints or spine
- Has shown symptoms or signs. However, a medical opinion or investigation hasn't been sought to confirm or provide a diagnosis
- Is chronic or ongoing (whether chronic or otherwise) and medically documented
- Is under investigation
- Is pending diagnosis
- Is pending test results
What does Relevant Time mean?
- Single Trip policies: The time of issue of the policy
- Annual Multi-Trip policies: The first time where any part of the relevant trip is paid for or the time when the policy is issued, whichever happens last
Existing Medical Conditions that we cover automatically
- Acne: No additional criteria
- Allergies: In the last 6 months, you haven’t required treatment by a medical practitioner for this condition. You have no known respiratory conditions (e.g. Asthma)
- Asthma: You're less than 60 years of age when you purchase the policy. In the last 12 months, you haven’t had an Asthma exacerbation requiring treatment by a medical practitioner. You've been a non-smoker for at least the last 18 months. You don’t need oxygen outside of a hospital. You don’t have a chronic lung condition or disease (whether chronic or otherwise) including Chronic Asthma, Chronic Bronchitis, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), Emphysema or Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Bell’s Palsy: No additional criteria
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: No additional criteria
- Cataracts/Glaucoma: In the last 90 days, you haven’t had an operation for this condition. You have no ongoing complications of this condition
- Coeliac Disease: In the last 6 months, you haven’t been treated by a medical practitioner for this condition
- Congenital Blindness: No additional criteria
- Congenital Deafness: No additional criteria
- Ear Grommets: You don’t have an ear infection
- Epilepsy: In the last 2 years, you haven’t required medical treatment for this condition. You don’t have an underlying medical condition (e.g. previous head trauma, Brain Tumour or Stroke)
- Gastric Reflux: Your Gastric Reflux doesn’t relate to an underlying diagnosis (e.g. Hernia/Gastric Ulcer)
- Gout: No additional criteria
- Goitre: No additional criteria
- Grave’s Disease: No additional criteria
- Hiatus Hernia: No additional criteria
- Hip/Knee/Shoulder Replacement or Hip resurfacing: The procedure was performed more than 6 months ago and less than 10 years ago. You haven’t had any post-operative complications related to that surgery. Post-operative complications include joint dislocation and infection
- Hypercholesterolaemia (High Cholesterol): You don’t have a known heart or cardiovascular condition
- Hypertension (High Blood Pressure): You don’t have a known heart or cardiovascular condition. You don’t have Diabetes (Type I or Type II). Your Hypertension is stable and managed by your medical practitioner. In the last 12 months, your prescribed blood pressure medication hasn’t changed. You aren’t suffering symptoms of Hypertension. You aren’t having investigations related to blood pressure
- Menopause: You don’t have Osteoporosis
- Migraine: No additional criteria
- Peptic/Gastric Ulcer: In the last 12 months, the Peptic/Gastric Ulcer has been stable
- Plantar Fasciitis: No additional criteria
- Raynaud’s Disease: No additional criteria
- Skin Cancer: Your Skin Cancer isn’t a Melanoma. You haven’t had chemotherapy or radiotherapy for this condition. Your Skin Cancer does not require any follow up treatment e.g. chemotherapy, radiotherapy or further excision
- Stenosing Tenosynovitis (Trigger Finger): No additional criteria
- Urinary Incontinence: No additional criteria
- Underactive/Overactive Thyroid: The cause of Your Underactive/Overactive Thyroid wasn’t a tumour
Conditions that need assessment
If you or any of the people travelling with you on your trip have any other Existing Medical Conditions that they'd like cover for under your Travel Insurance policy, an online medical assessment will need to be completed.
If you're aware of the pregnancy prior to the relevant time an online medical assessment must be completed if any of the following apply:
- There have been complications with this pregnancy or any previous pregnancy
- You have a multiple pregnancy
- The conception was medically assisted (including hormone therapies and IVF)
You can complete this as part of your NRMA Travel Insurance quote2.
Whether or not you have to apply for pregnancy cover, the following restrictions apply for any person where a claim may arise in any way as a result of pregnancy:
- Cover is only provided for unexpected serious pregnancy complications which occur before or during the 23rd week of pregnancy
- No cover is provided for childbirth or the health of a newborn child, irrespective of the stage of pregnancy at which the child is born
Expectant mothers should therefore consider whether they travel under this policy, particularly if travelling beyond the 20th week of pregnancy.
Things you should know
1 Offer is for a limited time.
2 An additional premium will apply and additional restrictions may apply to the policy.
Limits, sub-limits, conditions and exclusions apply. NRMA Travel insurance is issued by Zurich Australian Insurance Limited (ABN 13 000 296 640, AFSL 232507) (“ZAIL”). Cover-More Insurance Services Pty. Ltd. (ABN 95 003 114 145, AFSL 241713) acts under a binder authority from ZAIL. Cover-More will administer the policies and arrange for the issue of insurance on behalf of ZAIL. Insurance Australia Limited (ABN 11 000 016 722, AFSL 227681) trading as NRMA Insurance will arrange for the issue of NRMA Travel Insurance. This is general advice only. To see if the product is right for you, always consider your own needs, financial situation and the Product Disclosure Statement.