Flood, rainwater run-off and storm surge cover

We're making changes to how we cover flood, rainwater run-off and storm surge that will make it easier to understand what you're covered for.

These changes apply to policies purchased on or after 15 April 2018 and policies with a renewal date on or after 28 May 2018. See updated policy documents

We'll automatically provide cover for flood, rainwater run-off and storm surge. This means you'll be covered for these events when you renew your home, landlord, strata or on-site caravan insurance (unless we give the option to remove these covers and you choose to do so).

Here's what we mean by flood, rainwater run-off and storm surge


Flood is the covering of normally dry land by water that has escaped or been released from the normal confines of a lake, river, creek or other natural watercourse (even if they've been modified) or any reservoir, canal or dam.

Floods can occur when a long period of rain causes rivers, creeks and dams to overflow. This can affect large inland areas and spread over hundreds of kilometres. Although you may not have had rain in your area, a river can still break its banks because of heavy rain upstream.

Rainwater run-off

Rainwater run-off is water that flows over the ground or backs up because of a storm.

It can occur when a large amount of rain falls in a storm and causes drainage systems to fail, spilling water into nearby areas and damaging property.

Storm surge

Storm surge is an increase in sea level because of an intense storm or cyclone and associated waves. Storm surge doesn't include sea actions caused by normal tidal movements like high tides or king tides.

How do we calculate your flood, rainwater run-off and storm surge premium?

This premium is based on how likely it is your property will be affected by flood, rainwater run-off or storm surge. 

We use data from many sources to determine your risk. These include the National Flood Insurance Database, hydrology and terrain mapping, council mapping and claims information. 

We review and update our data throughout the year to make sure we use the latest information. This also means your risk level may change from year to year.

Other factors that affect your premium include the construction of your home, your sum insured, excess and the level of cover you select.

Still have a few questions?
Try our FAQs

These changes help make it easier to know what you’re covered for. Some claims will also be simpler as you may not have to wait for a hydrologist to decide if your home was damaged by rainwater run-off or flood, you’ll be covered for both.

Because of these changes we’ll automatically include cover for flood, rainwater run-off and storm surge when it’s time to renew your policy so you can make an informed decision about the changes and the latest information on your home’s risk.

We can’t tell you if there’ll be a change in your premium until you receive your Certificate of Insurance. You’ll see the cost for flood, rainwater run-off and storm surge cover under “Government charges & Premium comparison” on your Certificate of Insurance.

These events often cause large amounts of damage. Just a few centimetres of water in a property can cause damage to areas like your kitchen, carpet, furniture or building structure which can be expensive to repair or replace.

When we calculate your premium, we assess each property based on many factors. This means the cost of each policy will be different.

If you don’t agree with our decision that your property is at risk of flood, rainwater run-off or storm surge, call us on 132 132

You may be able to get more information about your property’s risk of flood, rainwater run-off and storm surge from your local council or water authority.

We may offer you the option to remove flood, rainwater run-off and storm surge cover. If you choose to do so you won’t have cover for loss or damage caused by any of these events. These covers can’t be removed individually.

If we’ve given you the option to remove these covers and you want to do so, call us on 132 132. You can’t do this online.

If you have Comprehensive or Comprehensive Plus insurance for your car, it’s covered for flood damage. See the PDS for more information.

Need more info?


Product Disclosure Statement
and Policy Booklets