We all rely on our incomes to pay the bills and care for our families.
But what would happen if you got sick or injured and couldn't work? Would you be able to support yourself and your family while you recover?
NRMA Income Protection helps protect you or your family's financial security, with a regular monthly payment if you're unable to work due to sickness or injury.
Personalise your cover
Choose options you wish to add for a little extra cover where you need it, such as Permanent Disability Cover.
Have confidence by your side knowing that NRMA Income Protection Insurance partner, TAL, paid out over $2.3 billion in eligible claims in 2019.
Why choose NRMA Insurance?
- Enjoy 5% off premiums for the life of your policy as an existing NRMA Insurance policyholder
- Get one month free every year when you choose to pay annually
- Receive 5% off your premiums each, when you add your partner to your policy
Supported claims process
We'll make the process as easy as we can.
- Confirm your waiting period - the time that must pass before you're eligible to claim benefits
- Call 1300 996 143 to notify us if your doctor tells you you're unable to work for longer than your waiting period, or you've become involuntarily unemployed
- Submit your claim form, and any supporting information
- We'll be in touch as quickly as we can
- Cover up to 85% of your pre-tax income up to $10,000 a month if you're unable to work due to a medically certified sickness or injury
- Cover for Australian residents aged 18 to 60
- Get a quote online or over the phone
- Choose the day of the month you'd like to make payments
- Rely on the financial strength and security of an NRMA Income Protection Insurance policy, issued by TAL Life Limited - underwriters for over 150 years
Still have a few questions?
Try our FAQs
Australian residents aged 18-60 can apply.
You're covered for Income Protection to help replace your income if a medically certified sickness or injury prevents you from working.
You can also choose to add the following Optional Covers to your policy:
- Involuntary Unemployment Cover
- Holiday Injury Cover
- Kids Injury Cover
- Permanent Disability Cover
Involuntary Unemployment Cover isn't available online, so call us on 1300 996 143 to talk about adding it to your policy.
For more details about your coverage and available Optional Covers, please refer to the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).
Our Income Protection Insurance excludes:
- Mental health disorders
- Drug and alcohol related sickness or injury
- Normal and uncomplicated pregnancy
- Any intentional self-inflicted act
- Cancer, stroke or heart attack in the first six months from when your cover starts
- Sickness or injury due to war, terrorism or criminal activity
- If you weren't able to, or only partially able to, perform your regular daily activities before your policy start date.
For more details about what isn’t covered, please refer to the Product Disclosure Statement.
Yes, simply call us on 132 825 and we’ll help adjust your cover. When you call, we may ask some more information about your health and lifestyle.
Please note, if you increase your level of cover, your premiums may also go up.
Income Protection premiums are generally tax deductible. However, your claim payments are usually taxed as part of your personal income.
Please check with your accountant to ensure this applies to your own tax situation.
While some super funds offer Income Protection, many don’t. It’s important to check whether your super includes Income Protection and how much it offers, as some may not give you the level of cover you need.
With NRMA Income Protection, you’re in control. You choose your level of cover, and the waiting and payout period. You can even select optional extras for a little extra cover where you need it. If you have Income Protection through your super, check to see:
- If you can choose how long you’d like to be paid for
- How much cover it provides
- How much time must pass before you get paid.
For customers who don't speak English, we offer a free Translation and Interpretive (TIS) government service.
You can access this by calling TIS on 131 450. TIS will organise a translator for the language you need, then they'll call us. NRMA Income Protection covers the full cost of the translation service.
We can also arrange an appointment in advance with a phone interpreter. Please speak to your customer service representative or personal claims manager.
National Relay Service (NRS)
We use the NRS to ensure we're accessible to customers with a hearing or speech impairment.
You can access an NRMA Income Protection phone number using one of the services below. Remember to provide the number you want to contact.
Need more info?
Our commitment to the Life Insurance Code of Practice
We fully support the work of the Financial Services Council in lifting the standards of insurer practices across the Life Insurance industry. We're committed to providing our customers with the best possible customer service standards. Find out more about our commitment to the Life Insurance Code of Practice.
Things you should know
The information on this website about NRMA Life Insurance is general advice only and does not take into account your personal financial situation, needs or objectives. You should consider the Product Disclosure Statement and Financial Services Guide and your own circumstances before deciding to purchase NRMA Life Insurance. NRMA Life Insurance is promoted by IAL Life Pty Limited ABN 15 137 509 936 Authorised Representative No. 427847 of TAL Direct Pty Limited ABN 39 084 666 017 AFSL 243260. NRMA Life Insurance is issued by TAL Life Limited ABN 70 050 109 450 AFSL 237848. IAL Life Pty Limited is a subsidiary of Insurance Australia Limited ABN 11 000 016 722 trading as NRMA Insurance. All life insurance information on this website is provided by TAL Direct Pty Limited and IAL Life Pty Limited.