International driving permits

Apply for a permit through the NRMA

Driving overseas? You might need to get an International Driving Permit (IDP), also known as an international drivers licence. If you're renting or driving a car, an IDP lets you drive overseas without further tests or applications. It's also a useful form of photo identification.

You can apply for an IDP through the NRMA and have it delivered within 3 to 5 business days, when using Domestic Express Post.

I'm leaving in less than 5 days, what do I do?

If you're leaving in less than 5 days, you can pick up an IDP from a participating branch. Please note that this service isn't available at all locations. To check if your local NRMA branch provides this, visit our Branch finder page

More services

Holiday deals

NRMA travel

As an NRMA Member, you'll get discounts on crusies, rail tours, Australian and overseas holidays, and more.

Find your perfect holiday with the help of the NRMA.

Discounted movie tickets

Discounted tickets

Save with exclusive discounts on movie and theme park tickets, attractions and lifestyle offers.

Car hire

Hire car

NRMA Insurance provides a hire car with our Car Insurance if your vehicle is stolen. To find out more, visit our Car Insurance page

As an NRMA Member, you'll always enjoy discounted rates when hiring a car from Thrifty.