Combined Home Buildings and Contents Insurance covers your home and the things inside it from events like fires, storms and more.
Here are some important things that are covered, not covered, or you can choose to add. For full info, limits, conditions and exclusions, see the policy booklets.
- Emergency repairs
- If your home needs urgent repairs, we’re here 24/7 to help keep you safe.
- Even if you forget to lock up
- Your items are covered even if you accidentally leave a door or window unlocked.
- Rebuilding your home
- We pay to repair or rebuild your home up to the insured amount when it's damaged by a covered event.
- Theft and vandalism
- We cover stolen items and damage from robbery and vandalism, including stolen keys.
- We cover loss and damage to your home and items caused by fire (including bushfire).
- Water and oil leaks
- We cover damage to your home and items caused by water and oil leaks1, like from a burst pipe.
- Broken glass
- We cover accidentally broken glass and ceramic in your home's furniture and some permanent fixtures3.
- Impact damage
- We pay for damage caused by impacts from things like vehicles and trees4.
- We cover damage and power surges caused by lightning.
- Temporary accommodation
- If your home can't be lived in after a covered event, we pay for temporary accommodation5.
- Liability for injury or damage
- We cover legal liability in some situations up to $20 million if someone's injured or their property's damaged at your home.
- Building materials
- If you're renovating, we cover loss or damage to building materials at your home caused by a covered event up to $1,000.
- Demolishing and removing debris
- If your home is damaged beyond repair by a covered event, we pay to demolish it and remove debris.
- No excess for food spoilage
- If your fridge stops working after a covered event, we pay for spoiled food and prescription medicine.
- Cover if you rent out your home
- We offer some cover for renting but, for more complete protection, see Landlord Insurance.
- Visitors' belongings
- We cover your visitors' items up to $500 if they're damaged by a covered event at your home.
- Moving to a new home
- We cover items being moved to your new home if they're damaged in a car accident.
- Accidental damage
- Add cover for damage to buildings and items from unintentional mishaps in your home6.
- Motor burnout
- Add cover for electric motor fusion7 in things like fridges and air con, including parts and labour.
- Pet Lover's Pack
- Optional cover for vet fees if your cat or dog's in an accident, plus accommodation for them after a covered event.
- Valuable contents
- Increase your cover for some items in your home like art, jewellery and collectables.
- Portable contents
- Choose to cover items like glasses, jewellery and luggage when you take them outside your home8.
- Safety net
- We only cover your buildings and contents for the insured amount. With Home Plus we pay an extra 25% if that’s not enough.
- Plants, trees and shrubs
- We don’t cover damage to plants, trees or shrubs but we do with Home Plus.
We have more than 90 years’ experience
helping Australians protect what they love
Do you know how much it would cost to replace your home and everything in it?
Earn a Loyalty Discount of up to 25%. New customers could get a 20% No Claim Bonus.
Online claims are a breeze. Log in anytime and tell us everything you want to claim for.
Upgrade to Home Plus
Home Plus is premium protection for your home. It gives you all the benefits of our standard home insurance, plus extra features and automatic cover you don’t usually find in other policies. With Home Plus you get:
- An extra 25% on top of your insured amount to rebuild, repair or replace your home and items (if you need it)
- Automatic cover for accidental damage to your home and items
- Automatic cover for electric motor burnout or fusion in things like fridges and air con
- Cover for up to $2,000 of damage to plants, trees and shrubs.
To get Home Plus, select Upgrade to Plus cover at the end of your quote.
Have a question? We can help
Things you should know
1 We don’t cover damage caused by water leaking or escaping from a shower recess or shower base. We don’t cover loss from erosion or other earth movements. We don’t cover the costs to repair or replace the item that the water or oil leaked or escaped from.
2 We don’t cover actions of the sea, such as tides and waves. Check the PDS for a full list of exclusions. If we give you the option to remove cover for flood, rainwater run-off and storm surge and you choose to do so, you won’t be covered for loss or damage to your home caused by flood, rainwater run-off or storm surge.
3 We don't cover broken glass in televisions, radios, or computer equipment unless you choose to add Accidental Damage Cover.
4 We don't cover loss or damage caused by tree cutting, lopping or felling.
5 We pay for accommodation for up to a year if you were living in the damaged home, we agree it's unliveable and we agree to the cost before you make arrangements.
6 We don't cover fishing equipment, sporting equipment, musical instruments or firearms while they're in use.
7 We can cover motors for up to 15 years after they were made.
8 Portable items are covered for loss, theft and accidental damage. We cover up to $10,000 for each item unless you list it separately for more. There are other limits for items taken outside Australia or New Zealand. We don’t cover scratches and dents or items being cleaned or repaired. We don’t cover fishing equipment, sporting equipment, musical instruments or firearms while they’re in use. We don’t cover bicycles while they’re being used in a competitive race or time trial.