Home Contents Insurance covers household items and personal belongings from events at your home like fires, storms and more.
Here are some important things that are covered, not covered, or you can choose to add. For full info, limits, conditions and exclusions, see the policy booklets.
- Great for when you're renting
- If you don’t own the place you live in, you can cover just your belongings.
- Even if you forget to lock up
- Your items are covered even if you accidentally leave a door or window unlocked.
- Theft and vandalism
- We cover your items if they’re stolen or damaged by vandalism or attempted theft.
- We cover damage to your items caused by fire (including bushfire).
- Damage to landlord's property
- If you’re renting, we cover your liability in some situations for damage to your landlord’s property.
- Your liability away from your home
- We cover legal liability in some situations up to $20m if you injure someone or damage property away from your home2.
- Water and oil leaks
- We cover damage to your items caused by water and oil leaks3, like from a burst pipe.
- Temporary accommodation
- If your home can’t be lived in after a covered event, we pay for temporary accommodation (for up to a year)4.
- Broken glass
- We cover accidentally broken glass in mirrors, picture frames, lights and more5.
- No excess for food spoilage
- If your fridge stops working after a covered event, we pay for spoiled food and prescription medicine.
- We cover damage and power surges caused by lightning.
- Impact damage
- We pay for damage if your items are hit by a vehicle or falling tree6.
- Visitors' belongings
- We cover your visitors’ items up to $500 if they’re damaged by a covered event at your home.
- Moving to a new home
- We cover items being moved to your new home if they’re damaged in a car accident.
- Accidental damage
- Add cover for damage to your items from unintentional mishaps in your home7.
- Motor burnout
- Add cover for electric motor fusion8 in things like fridges and washing machines, including parts and labour.
- Pet Lover's pack
- Optional cover for vet fees if your cat or dog’s in an accident, plus accommodation for them after a covered event.
- Valuable contents
- Increase your cover for some items in your home like art, jewellery and collectables.
- Portable contents
- Choose to cover items like glasses, jewellery and luggage when you take them outside your home9.
- Safety net
- We only cover your contents up to the insured amount. With Home Plus we pay an extra 25% if that’s not enough.
- Permanent fixtures
- We don’t cover things you own that are permanently attached to your home, see Buildings and Contents for that.
We have more than 90 years’ experience
helping Australians protect what they love
Do you know the value of all the contents in your home?
Earn a Loyalty Discount of up to 25%. New customers could get a 20% No Claim Bonus.
Online claims are a breeze. Log in anytime and tell us everything you want to claim for.
Upgrade to Home Plus
Home Plus is premium protection for your home. It gives you all the benefits of our standard home insurance, plus extra features and automatic cover you don’t usually find in other policies. With Home Plus you get:
- An extra 25% on top of your insured amount to repair or replace your items (if you need it)
- Automatic cover for accidental damage to your things
- Automatic cover for electric motor burnout or fusion in things like fridges and washing machines
- Up to $5,000 for legal costs and replacement documents if your identity’s stolen.
To get Home Plus, select Upgrade to Plus cover at the end of your quote.
Have a question? We can help
Things you should know
1 We don’t cover actions of the sea, such as tides and waves. Check the PDS for a full list of exclusions. If we give you the option to remove cover for flood, rainwater run-off and storm surge and you choose to do so, you won’t be covered for loss or damage to your home caused by flood, rainwater run-off or storm surge.
2 Cover applies if the incident happens away from your home but still in Australia.
3 We don’t cover damage caused by water leaking or escaping from a shower recess or shower base. We don’t cover loss from erosion or other earth movements. We don’t cover the costs to repair or replace the item that the water or oil leaked or escaped from.
4 If you’re renting the home (a tenant), we pay the reasonable extra rent costs for temporary accommodation. If you own and live in your home, we cover the reasonable costs of temporary accommodation.
5 We don’t cover broken glass in televisions, radios, or computer equipment unless you choose to add Accidental Damage Cover.
6 We don’t cover loss or damage caused by tree cutting, lopping or felling.
7 We don’t cover fishing equipment, sporting equipment, musical instruments or firearms while they’re in use.
8 We can cover motors for up to 15 years after they were made.
9 Portable items are covered for loss, theft and accidental damage. We cover up to $10,000 for each item unless you list it separately for more. There are other limits for items taken outside Australia or New Zealand. We don’t cover scratches and dents or items being cleaned or repaired. We don’t cover fishing equipment, sporting equipment, musical instruments or firearms while they’re in use. We don’t cover bicycles while they’re being used in a competitive race or time trial.
~ We commit to planting a tree for every new home insurance policy purchased 11 August 2019–31 January 2020. This doesn’t include renewing policies.