Home Contents Insurance

Home insurance that's great for both renters and owners - it covers the things in your home for fire, theft and more

Home Contents Insurance

What's included

Even if you forget to lock up

Theft & vandalism

We cover your items if they’re stolen or damaged by vandalism or attempted theft.


We cover damage to your items caused by fire (including bushfire).

Flood, rainwater run-off & storm surge

We cover damage to your items caused by flood, rainwater run-off and storm surge1.


We cover damage and power surges caused by lightning.

Damage to landlord's property

If you’re renting, we cover your liability in some situations for damage to your landlord’s property.

Temporary accommodation

If your home can’t be lived in after a covered event, we pay for temporary accommodation (for up to a year)2.

Water & oil leaks

We cover damage to your items caused by water and oil leaks3, like from a burst pipe.

Broken glass

We cover accidentally broken glass in mirrors, picture frames, lights and more4.

No excess for food spoilage

If your fridge stops working after a covered event, we pay for spoiled food and prescription medicine.

Your liability away from your home

We cover legal liability in some situations if you injure someone or damage property away from your home5 (up to $20m).

Impact damage

We pay for damage caused by impacts from things like vehicles and trees6.

Visitors' belongings

We cover your visitors’ items if they're damaged by a covered event at your home (up to $500).

Moving to a new home

We cover items being moved to your new home if they’re damaged in a car accident.

See more

Optional extras

Add these when you get a quote

Accidental damage

Add cover for damage to your items from unintentional mishaps in your home7.

Motor burnout

Add cover for electric motor fusion8 in things like fridges and washing machines, including parts and labour.

Pet lover's pack

Optional cover for vet fees if your cat or dog’s in an accident, plus accommodation for them after a covered event.

Valuable contents

Increase your cover for some items in your home like art, jewellery and collectables.

Portable contents

Choose to cover items like glasses, jewellery and luggage when you take them outside your home9.

Not included

There are some things we don't cover

Safety net

We only cover your contents up to the insured amount. With Home Plus we pay an extra 25% if that’s not enough.

Permanent fixtures

We don’t cover things you own that are permanently attached to your home, see Buildings & Contents for that.

Policy booklets

For full details including limits, conditions and exclusions, read these policy documents

Only need cover for one or two items?

With over 90 years’ experience, we know how to protect the things you care about

Do you know how much it would cost to replace the contents in your home?

Earn a Loyalty Discount of up to 25%. New customers could get a 20% No Claim Bonus

Log in anytime to make a claim. It’s quick and easy to upload item receipts or photos

Upgrade to Home Plus

Home Plus is premium protection for your home. It gives you all the benefits of our standard home insurance, plus extra features and automatic cover you don’t usually find in other policies.

With Home Plus you get:

  • An extra 25% on top of your insured amount to repair or replace your items (if you need it)
  • Automatic cover for accidental damage to your things
  • Automatic cover for electric motor burnout or fusion in things like fridges and washing machines
  • Up to $5,000 for legal costs and replacement documents if your identity’s stolen.

To get Home Plus, select Upgrade to Plus cover at the end of your quote.

Have a question? We can help

Things you should know

  1. We don’t cover actions of the sea, such as tides and waves. Check the PDS for a full list of exclusions. If we give you the option to remove cover for flood, rainwater run-off and storm surge and you choose to do so, you won’t be covered for loss or damage to your home caused by flood, rainwater run-off or storm surge.

  2. If you’re renting the home (a tenant), we pay the reasonable extra rent costs for temporary accommodation. If you own and live in your home, we cover the reasonable costs of temporary accommodation.

  3. We don’t cover damage caused by water leaking or escaping from a shower recess or shower base. We don’t cover loss from erosion or other earth movements. We don’t cover the costs to repair or replace the item that the water or oil leaked or escaped from.

  4. We don’t cover broken glass in televisions, radios, or computer equipment unless you choose to add Accidental Damage Cover.

  5. Cover applies if the incident happens away from your home but still in Australia.

  6. We don’t cover loss or damage caused by tree cutting, lopping or felling.

  7. We don’t cover fishing equipment, sporting equipment, musical instruments or firearms while they’re in use.

  8. We can cover motors for up to 15 years after they were made.

  9. Portable items are covered for loss, theft and accidental damage. We cover up to $10,000 for each item unless you list it separately for more. There are other limits for items taken outside Australia or New Zealand, check the PDS. We don’t cover scratches and dents or items being cleaned or repaired. We don’t cover fishing equipment, sporting equipment, musical instruments or firearms while they’re in use. We don’t cover bicycles while they’re being used in a competitive race or time trial.

Have another policy with us? Log in to see how much you could save

If you need help, you can talk to us. Call 132 132 (7am–10pm)