Home Buildings Insurance covers residential buildings, fixtures and improvements from events like fires, storms and more.
Here are some important things that are covered, not covered, or you can choose to add. For full info, limits, conditions and exclusions, see the policy booklets.
- Emergency repairs
- If your home needs urgent repairs, we’re here 24/7 to help keep you safe.
- Moving? Your new home's covered too
- If you’re buying a new home in Australia, call us and we can cover it as soon as you sign the contract1.
- Rebuilding your home
- We pay to repair or rebuild your home up to the insured amount if it’s damaged by a covered event.
- We cover damage to your home caused by fire (including bushfire).
- Water and oil leaks
- We cover damage to your home caused by water and oil leaks2, like from a burst pipe.
- Broken glass
- We cover accidentally broken glass and ceramic in some permanent fixtures.
- Impact damage
- We pay for damage caused by impacts from things like vehicles and trees4.
- Theft and vandalism
- We cover loss and damage from robbery or vandalism, including stolen keys.
- We cover damage and power surges caused by lightning.
- Liability for injury or damage
- We cover your legal liability in some situations up to $20m if someone’s injured or their property’s damaged at your home.
- Temporary accommodation
- If your home can’t be lived in after a covered event, we pay for temporary accommodation5.
- Building materials
- If you’re renovating, we cover loss or damage to building materials at your home caused by a covered event up to $1,000.
- Demolishing and removing debris
- If your home is damaged beyond repair by a covered event, we pay to demolish it and remove the debris.
- Cover if you rent out your home
- We offer some cover for renting but, for more complete protection, see Landlord Insurance.
- Accidental damage
- Add cover for damage to buildings and fixtures from unintentional mishaps around your home6.
- Motor burnout
- Add cover for electric motor fusion7 in fixtures like air con and pool pumps, including parts and labour.
- Pet Lover's Pack
- Optional cover for vet fees if your cat or dog’s in an accident, plus accommodation for them after a covered event.
- Animal damage
- We don’t cover animals that normally live at your home unless you add the Pet Lover’s Pack.
- Safety net
- We repair or rebuild your buildings up to the insured amount. With Home Plus we pay an extra 25% if that’s not enough.
- Plants, trees and shrubs
- We don’t cover damage to plants, trees or shrubs but we do with Home Plus.
- We don't cover damage to carpets under Buildings Insurance unless you rent your building to tenants8.
We have more than 90 years’ experience
helping Australians protect what they love
Do you know how much it would cost to rebuild your home?
Earn a Loyalty Discount of up to 25%. New customers could get a 20% No Claim Bonus.
Online claims are a breeze. Log in anytime and tell us everything you want to claim for.
Upgrade to Home Plus
Home Plus is premium protection for your home. It gives you all the benefits of our standard home insurance, plus extra features and automatic cover you don’t usually find in other policies. With Home Plus you get:
- An extra 25% on top of your insured amount to rebuild or repair your home (if you need it)
- Automatic cover for accidental damage
- Automatic cover for electric motor burnout or fusion in things like air con and pool pumps
- Cover for up to $2,000 of damage to plants, trees and shrubs.
To get Home Plus, select Upgrade to Plus cover at the end of your quote.
Have a question? We can help
Things you should know
1 You need to give us the details of your new home when you sign the contract to buy it, we need to agree to insure it, and you need to pay any extra premium.
2 We don’t cover damage caused by water leaking or escaping from a shower recess or shower base. We don’t cover loss from erosion or other earth movements. We don’t cover the costs to repair or replace the item that the water or oil leaked or escaped from.
3 We don’t cover actions of the sea, such as tides and waves. Check the PDS for a full list of exclusions. If we give you the option to remove cover for flood, rainwater run-off and storm surge and you choose to do so, you won't be covered for loss or damage to your home caused by flood, rainwater run-off or storm surge.
4 We don’t cover loss or damage caused by tree cutting, lopping or felling.
5 We pay for accommodation for up to a year if you were living in the damaged home, we agree it’s unliveable and we agree to the cost before you make arrangements.
6 We don’t cover fishing equipment, sporting equipment, musical instruments or firearms while they’re in use.
7 We can cover motors for up to 15 years after they were made.
8 If you rent your building to tenants, we cover up to 10% of the insured amount to repair or replace your furniture, furnishings or carpets in your home for tenants’ use.