Home Buildings Insurance

Home insurance that covers your buildings and fixtures for fire, vandalism and more

Home Buildings Insurance

What's included

Even if you forget to lock up


We cover damage to your home caused by fire (including bushfire).

Theft & vandalism

We cover loss and damage from robbery or vandalism, including stolen keys.

Water & oil leaks

We cover damage to your home caused by water and oil leaks1, like from a burst pipe.

Flood, rainwater run-off & storm surge

We cover damage to your home caused by flood, rainwater run-off and storm surge2.

Rebuilding your home

We pay to repair or rebuild your home up to the insured amount if it’s damaged by a covered event.

Emergency repairs

If your home needs urgent repairs, we’re here 24/7 to help keep you safe.

Temporary accommodation

If your home can’t be lived in after a covered event, we pay for temporary accommodation3.

Building materials

If you’re renovating, we cover loss or damage to building materials at your home caused by a covered event (up to $1,000).

Broken glass

We cover accidentally broken glass and ceramic in some permanent fixtures.


We cover damage and power surges caused by lightning.

Impact damage

We pay for damage caused by impacts from things like vehicles and trees4.

Moving? Your new home's covered too

If you’re buying a new home in Australia, call us and we can cover it as soon as you sign the contract5.

Liability for injury or damage

We cover your legal liability in some situations if someone's injured or their property's damaged at your home (up to $20m).

Demolishing & removing debris

If your home is damaged beyond repair by a covered event, we pay to demolish it and remove the debris.

Cover if you rent out your home

We offer some cover for renting but, for more complete protection, see Landlord Insurance.

See more

Optional extras

Add these when you get a quote

Accidental damage

Add cover for damage to buildings and fixtures from unintentional mishaps around your home6.

Motor burnout

Add cover for electric motor fusion7 in fixtures like air con and pool pumps, including parts and labour.

Pet lover's pack

Optional cover for vet fees if your cat or dog’s in an accident, plus accommodation for them after a covered event.

Not included

There are some things we don't cover


We don't cover damage to carpets under Buildings Insurance unless you rent your building to tenants8.

Animal damage

We don’t cover animals that normally live at your home unless you add the Pet lover’s pack.

Plants, trees & shrubs

We don’t cover damage to plants, trees or shrubs but we do with Home Plus.

Safety net

We repair or rebuild your buildings up to the insured amount. With Home Plus we pay an extra 25% if that’s not enough.

Policy booklets

For full details including limits, conditions and exclusions, read these policy documents

Renting your place on Airbnb or Stayz?

With over 90 years’ experience, we know how to protect the things you care about

Do you know how much it would cost to rebuild your home?

Earn a Loyalty Discount of up to 25%. New customers could get a 20% No Claim Bonus

Log in anytime to make a claim. It’s quick and easy to upload item receipts or photos

Upgrade to Home Plus

Home Plus is premium protection for your home. It gives you all the benefits of our standard home insurance, plus extra features and automatic cover you don’t usually find in other policies.

With Home Plus you get:

  • An extra 25% on top of your insured amount to rebuild or repair your home (if you need it)
  • Automatic cover for accidental damage
  • Automatic cover for electric motor burnout or fusion in things like air con and pool pumps
  • Cover for up to $2,000 of damage to plants, trees and shrubs.

To get Home Plus, select Upgrade to Plus cover at the end of your quote.

Have a question? We can help

Things you should know

  1. We don’t cover damage caused by water leaking or escaping from a shower recess or shower base. We don’t cover loss from erosion or other earth movements. We don’t cover the costs to repair or replace the item that the water or oil leaked or escaped from.

  2. We don’t cover actions of the sea, such as tides and waves. Check the PDS for a full list of exclusions. If we give you the option to remove cover for flood, rainwater run-off and storm surge and you choose to do so, you won't be covered for loss or damage to your home caused by flood, rainwater run-off or storm surge.

  3. We pay for accommodation for up to a year if you were living in the damaged home, we agree it’s unliveable and we agree to the cost before you make arrangements.

  4. We don’t cover loss or damage caused by tree cutting, lopping or felling.

  5. You need to give us the details of your new home when you sign the contract to buy it, we need to agree to insure it, and you need to pay any extra premium.

  6. We don’t cover fishing equipment, sporting equipment, musical instruments or firearms while they’re in use.

  7. We can cover motors for up to 15 years after they were made.

  8. If you rent your building to tenants, we cover up to 10% of the insured amount to repair or replace your furniture, furnishings or carpets in your home for tenants’ use.

Have another policy with us? Log in to see how much you could save

If you need help, you can talk to us. Call 132 132 (7am–10pm)